|The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore
Published by HarperCollins
Publish Date: August 23, 2011
My Source: Borrowed from
Ashley @ Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing
I’ve seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened in Ohio. John Smith, out there, on the run. To the world, he’s a mystery. But to me . . . he’s one of us.
Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us—if we all still believe in our mission. How can I know? There are six of us left. We’re hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another . . . but our Legacies are developing, and soon we’ll be equipped to fight. Is John Number Four, and is his appearance the sign I’ve been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who may be strong enough to bring the six of us together?
They caught Number One in Malaysia. Number Two in England. And Number Three in Kenya. They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio—and failed.
I am Number Seven. One of six still alive.
And I’m ready to fight. -(summary from Goodreads.com)
My Thoughts: I absolutely loved I Am Number Four, so I was thrilled to pieces when Ashley graciously let me borrow this book. The anticipation I had for this book was ridiculous, and friends, it did not disappoint.
Here are some things I loved about the book:
- John, Six, & Sam. The old cast is back, and they’re better than they were before. They work well together. There are a few awkward scenes this time because of a love triangle that pops up between these three, but the triangle is well-handled and I did not find it particularly annoying. I specifically want to mention that I love the way John and Six teach Sam to fight like they fight and defend himself against the Mogadorians, as this comes in handy in a few places in the book. I love this trio and think they make great leading characters.
- Marina. Number Seven. Marina lives in hiding in Spain with her cepan and is pretty much clueless about her heritage and how she is supposed to go about living on Earth. This is completely the fault of her cepan, as she spent more time trying to blend in than trying to teach Marina the ways of the Garde. This causes trouble when they are found by the Mogadorians.
- Bernie Kosar. Come on…we all know the shape-shifting dog is awesome.
- Action scenes. There are plenty of fight scenes and action scenes. I love them all. In particular, Six has awesome legacies and abilities, and her strength is so much fun. She is such a butt-kicking female character, and she gives girls a good name.
- Surprises. There were plenty of plot twists in this story. Every time my heart rate would come back down from a huge action scene, there would be a huge plot twist that would send it right back up, and then the story would go straight into another thrilling action scene…and this was the way of the entire book. There was never a dull moment.
- New characters. There are some new characters that are introduced in this book that will be carried over into the next book of this series. I’m not going to say anything about them or I will surely give something away, so I must keep everything a secret! But I will say that I am super excited to see where the author takes the story where these characters are concerned. I love their addition to the story. Love it!